A: Rachel, I'd like to go through the program for Thursday again, just to make sure that everything's all right.
A: Rachel,為了保證萬無一失,我想再檢查一遍星期四的日程表。
B: Okay. We've arranged for a car to pick up Mr. Schmitt and his colleague at the airport. They're due to arrive at 8:30.
B: 好的。我們已經安排汽車到機場去接Schmitt先生和他的同事。他們定于八點半到達。
A: They'll only have hand luggage, so they should be coming into the Arrivals Loungesoon afterwards. How will they know which car is waiting for them?
A: 他們只帶手提行李,所以到達后,很快就會來到機場的入境大廳。他們怎么知道哪一輛車是接他們的?
B: The driver will be at the exit to the Customs Hall, holding a placard with Mr. Schmitt's name on it.
B: 到時候,司機拿著上面寫有Schmitt先生名字的牌子,等在海關辦理處的出口處。
A: Maybe I should go to the airport myself.
A: 也許我應當親自去機場……
B: Don't worry. The driver's used to meeting people like that. If there's any problem, he'll ask for an announcement to be made over the Tannoy System, asking Mr. Schmitt to come to the reception desk.
B: 別擔心。司機經常這樣接客。如果有問題,他就會讓機場通過公共廣播系統播一個通知,叫Schmitt先生到接待處去。(Tannoy是著名的公共廣播系統的品牌)
A: If all goes well, they will get to us by ten o'clock.
A: 假如一切順利,他們十點鐘就會到這兒。
B: I've arranged for coffee, soft drinks and biscuits to be served in the board room at 10:15.
B: 我已經做了安排,十點一刻把咖啡、軟飲料和餅干送到會議室。
A: What sort of coffee?
A: 哪種咖啡?
B: What do you mean?
B: 你說什么?
A: Every detail counts, Rachel, even the coffee. I'll make it myself if necessary, but I want to be good.
A: Rachel,每個細節都很重要,甚至包括咖啡在內。如有必要,我要親自準備,我需要的是味道純正的咖啡。
【Note】 1. go through 這個詞組有很多意思,今天我們來了解其中的幾種: a) To examine carefully 仔細查看,審查(對話中就是這個意思~)
eg: go through the students' papers 檢查學生的試卷 b) To experience; to suffer 經歷,遭受
eg: go through many wars 經歷很多戰爭 go through tremendous pain 遭受巨大痛苦 c) To be approved or accepted 被通過,被接受
eg: The amendment went through. 修訂案被通過了。 d) To consume; exhaust 用完,耗盡
eg: We went through our supplies in a day. 我們一天就把供給品用完了。 2. 對話中的 due 的意思是“預定,約定,預期”,相當于 scheduled, arranged, expected 等,常用“be due to + 動詞”的形式。 而我們知道due還有個介詞短語叫due to,它的后面是接名詞或代詞,表示“應歸于,應屬于,應給予”,相當于 caused by sb/sth 或者 because of sb/sth。例如:
Her absence is due to illness. 她因病缺席。
The game has been cancelled due to frost. 比賽因霧而取消。 3. count 是個很好用的單詞,除了有我們熟知的“數數”的意思外,它還能表達 (sth) be of value or importance “某樣東西有價值,有重要性”。例如:
Her opinion counts because of her experience. 因為她有經驗,所以她的意見很重要。
We've only a few bullets left, so make each one count. 我們只剩幾顆子彈了,因此要彈不虛發。(此句中的 make each one count 就是指 use it effectively) |